Thursday, June 2, 2011

Never Judge a Book by the First Few Chapters

I finished a new book a couple weeks ago.  I first stumbled across it while in Deseret Book.  It caught my eye (mainly because it has a tiger on the front, and I'm such a fan of tigers!).  Well, I opted not to purchase the book at the time, however I kept thinking about it; when that happens, I should know better by now.

So I was in Walmart and saw it in their book section.  Despite being rather anti-Walmart, I opted to buy it.  I began to read the book and I wasn't so sure I was going to like it.  The opening chapter is done very well--really capturing the reader's attention--but the writing was slightly different than  I was accustomed to, as every writer has a different voice.  But I pushed through.  Several chapters later, we're into a major adventure.  Funny thing was, I was also currently playing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Wii, so while reading some of these adventures of caves with creepy monsters/bugs coming out everywhere, I'm reminded of the game, thus I struggled to separate the two sometimes...

About chapter 14, nearly half-way through the book, the story really picks up because you encounter another major character.  This character completes the "love triangle" and adds a whole new depth to the story.  Obviously a bit predictable in that regard, but it's quite entertaining.  Nothing like a rivalry between two brothers over a girl! ^-^

The book is entitled, "Tiger's Curse" by Colleen Houck (visit the official site here).  The book is about a girl named Kelsey.  She's working at a circus for the summer and discovers they have a white tiger as their main attraction.  She becomes very fond of him.  It's not until she discovers the owner has sold the tiger that the story really picks up.

Turns out Ren (the tiger) is not actually a tiger at all.  He's a man... cursed to be a tiger.  After some persuasion, Kelsey is taken back to India (Ren's country) where Kelsey is the only person who can help break the curse, because she has been "chosen" by a goddess.

"Tiger's Curse" is book one of (currently) five.  Therefore it is mostly learning about the different characters and discovering the underlying concept for the series.  Ren and his brother, Kishan, are cursed and Kelsey has to help them break it while facing incredible danger and adventure.

This book is actually quite a romance.  It does have adventure in it, but it's definitely a romance.



Title: Tiger's Curse
Author: Colleen Houck
Series: Tiger's Curse Series
Number In Series: #1 
Copyright: 2011
Genre: Young Adult Fiction:  Romance / Adventure
Page Length: 403

My Rating: 4.0 / 5

Official Book Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment