Friday, August 17, 2012

It's A Magical World

As I sit here, waiting for my caffeine to take effect so I stop procrastinating chores, I thought it would be fun to create a blog dedicated to something that is very near and dear to my heart.

The night before last, I finished a great comic.  Some of you might even know it.
January 2, 1986
That's right, Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson.

I received the Complete Collection for Christmas (or rather, I saw it on the Amazon "Lightning Deal" and purchased it, at which point my father paid me back so I would wrap it and put it under the Christmas tree).  I finally finished reading all 3 books in the collection... a total of 1,454 beautifully colored pages of the highest quality.  Simply gorgeous...

Since I have now finished reading this amazing collection, I yearn for more.  I do plan to purchase all the Calvin and Hobbes books at some point, and I happened to find another one yesterday!  I went on a treasure hunt, and found the first Calvin and Hobbes book for cheaper in the store than on Amazon.  Of course I immediately purchased it.  And the best part?

August 16, 2012
It's dedicated to me!!!

Apparently it was meant to be. ^-^

[Okay, it's really not really dedicated to me... But she has the same name!!]

Well, since I've been on somewhat of a Calvin and Hobbes high because I read it every night before bed (it makes the perfect bedtime story) I would occasionally mention something to my father.  He would look at me and ask, "Why do you find Calvin and Hobbes to appealing?"

That's a very good question.  To anyone it appears to be a hilarious comic about the adventures of a six-year-old boy and his stuffed tiger that only comes alive for him (see comic above).

But there is so much more to Calvin and Hobbes than what meets the eye.  Take the following strip for example:

October 26, 1988
One of the greatest things I loved about Bill Watterson's writing, is how he is able to teach life principles through metaphors.  This one is a bit more obvious, but in other strips it's more subtle.  Watterson believed that by analyzing nature, we can then resolve issues in our own life.  He sought to inform us readers about his perceptions of the world in which we live by using these lovable characters.

I also absolutely love Calvin's humor.  He's the little, selfish, opinionated voice that exists somewhere inside us all, no matter how dormant it may be.

Not to mention the awesomeness of his snow sculptures!  I plan to make one of these someday!

January 21, 1995
 So, in the end, why have I enjoyed reading this amazing adventure?

Calvin and Hobbes is a comic about asking the bigger questions in life.  It's about presenting simple solutions that help us survive in this crazy world.  It's about realizing there are bigger things in the world than just you or me.  It's about releasing our inner child and giving in to our dreams as we strive to make them a reality.

But most of all...

It made me laugh.

Calvin and Hobbes makes me feel happy, safe, and warm.  No matter how my day is going, Calvin and Hobbes will always be there to increase my mood.  There are many instances where I was having a bad day and I would read Calvin and Hobbes before going to bed, only to have it make my whole world bright again.  It helps me feel at peace with the world.

Am I sad that Bill Watterson stopped the strip in 1995?  Yes.  But I understand why he did.  I also understand why he didn't want his characters exploited to the marketing world (hence the reason there's hardly any Calvin and Hobbes merchandise).  Watterson had a great opinion about materialism (hence the reason Calvin only focused on the material aspect of Christmas) and Watterson didn't want to add to the merchandising message his characters would send to the world if he allowed "product" to be made.

However, I do wish I could find a legitimate stuffed Hobbes... ^-^

This journey has been an amazing adventure.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  As Calvin himself said in the very last strip ever written:

"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy... Let's go exploring!"

And so it is.

"Your Heart Will Lead You Home"
A Calvin and Hobbes Tribute
By Swing456 on YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment